G.W. Carver High School: Past to Present
A LITTLE HISTORY
George Washington Carver High School sits on the park-like acreage inherited from historical Clark University in 1947.
The University, along with Gammon Theological Seminary, was the center for the assemblage of outstanding leaders of the church and nation. It was the center for religious services, the Sunday Vesper Services being largely attended by people of the community along with students. It was the place for musical concerts, where renowned concert artists of national and international repute performed in the famed Leete Hall. (Leete Hall is the only building remaining from the historic university campus)
The campus as a community center may be seen as most important when it is recognized that Black people did not have access to the educational and cultural facilities and affairs of the white community except occasionally on a segregated basis. And the nationally and internationally known black artists and performers had virtually no opportunity to perform in the South except on the campuses of Black colleges. Thus, Clark University, like other black colleges, assumed the role and responsibility of providing for the utilization of Black talent for the cultural life of the Black community at large as well as for the campus.
The relocation of Clark University in 1941 removed its direct and active influence from the South Atlanta community. Most members of older families joined the Black population shifting to the West Side.… When it moved in 1941, several parcels of land were given to the City of Atlanta and/or Fulton County for public school sites. Four schools were provided for Black people: 1) Georgia Washington Carver Vocational High School; 2) Luther Judson Price High School; 3) the Thomas Heathe Slater Elementary School; and 4) the Jessie Mae Jones Elementary School… [And] in 1946 the old campus of Clark University and adjoining land of approximately 100 acres were made available to the City of Atlanta for the nominal price of $110,000.
G.W.CARVER HIGH SCHOOL
Formerly George Washington Carver Vocational High School and later George Washington Carver Comprehensive High School. The overall school complex now includes many pathways in one school. It now includes GW Carver S.T.E.A.M (from Purpose Built Schools), anchored by Leete Hall and GW Carver Early College (housed in a separate building)